Sunday, April 10, 2016

Fountain pen ink review: J. Herbin Emerald of Chivor 1670 Anniversary Ink

This is a much reviewed ink. In fact, it was the ink of the year for Goldspot in 2015. My take on the ink can't add much to what's already been said. You can find reviews here, here, and here,

Although, I have little new to share, here comes my modest review anyway.

I truly enjoy this ink. It contains tiny gold particles that are fun. I often use it when I'm writing what I hope are encouraging notes to my friends and colleagues. With an italic nib, it seems to add a sense of intrigue and flair to the writing.


You must shake the gorgeous bottle thoroughly every time you fill up a pen with this ink. At times, I have found that the flow through the feed is inhibited, perhaps by the metallic flecks.

It's an expensive ink, comparatively speaking. But I've found a way to stretch your dollar when using this ink. There have been times when I started to clean out my pen after using the ink and simply filled up the converter with water and found myself using a diluted version of this ink. Even "watered down," it still is very saturated.

The Emerald blue green color is amazing in my opinion. It is saturated and shades well.

I have read that a reddish sheen shows up especially when you use it on Tomoe paper.

I give this ink a 9.25 on a scale of 1 to 10.

1 comment: